Hip Block Injection
- Performed as a diagnostic and therapeutic injection
- Steroid calms inflammation down but may only last 6-12 weeks
- If inflammation is very severe then the block may have minimal or no effect
- 6-12 weeks provides time for a therapy program to build hip and pelvic strength
- Patients who continue to ‘impinge’ despite therapy may be candidates for surgery
- Patients who have Hip Block Injection plus therapy do better than those who do therapy alone
Frequently Asked Questions – Hip Block Injection
When should I start physiotherapy?
2 weeks post-op. You will then need to go weekly until your outpatient appointment at 6 weeks post-op
How long should I have physiotherapy for?
3 months or at least 5-10 sessions
When can I drive?
Is pain expected?
Mild to moderate for the first few days
How long will I be off work for?
The day of the procedure
Will I be able to walk normally?
How long do I need to wear stockings for?
Not required for this procedure
How long do I need to keep my dressing on for?
Can I go home by myself?
When can I start exercising?
2 weeks post procedure and with the advice from your Physiotherapist
When can I fly?